-
February 8th, 2002, 03:08 AM
#1
becomedeath
Guest
Good evening gentlemen,
Where is the best place to have my Beaulieu 4008 crystal synched? The only place that I am familiar with is the Film Group, but since I have never had a camera crystal synched before I would greatly value your opinions.
Thank you,
Tayman Strahorn
------------------
-
February 8th, 2002, 03:33 AM
#2
rollemfilm
Guest
the film group is great. i have bought some gear from them and they stand by what they sell. they are the best!
------------------
-
February 8th, 2002, 03:44 AM
#3
Scottness
Guest
Tayman hi - I had my 4008 crystal synched by The Film Group -- it's worked fine - the only pointers I'll make though - are:
1) It's expensive
2) There's some stupid aspect to the design whereby you have to unplug the lead (that runs from the synch unit to the camera) from the synch unit itself - I don't suppose it matters if you leave it plugged into the camera but you have to unplug it from the synch unit itself (when not in use) or else the batteries will go flat. It might not seem like a big deal - but it's easy to forget (and our camera man did once - causing a flat battery we didn't know about and a whole days worth of unsynched material) and unplugging it causes wear and tear on the actual socket - you wait till you see it it's actually hard to get on and off. WHy on earth they don't jsut make a permanent lead with an on/off switch that disconnects the battery is beyond me. Maybe there's some technical reason I'm not aware of - and maybe they have by now - but I'm thinking of asking a friend to install on for me.
But anyway it does work well, the preceeding aside - though I think this resolving software Mattias is talking about is vary interesting - I've got a Beaulieu R16 I need synched and I'm not sure if I'll do it witha crystal synch or something like Matt's software. Still investiagating - the software may be cheaper!
Hope this helps
There's an article on sound synching too by Martin Baumgarten on my web page at http://www.mango-a-gogo.com/inmyimag...ink.htm#martin
if you need it
Scot M
------------------
-
February 8th, 2002, 05:56 AM
#4
becomedeath
Guest
thank you.
------------------
-
February 8th, 2002, 05:59 AM
#5
becomedeath
Guest
Scott,
What did you use to record sound with? I have a Sony TCD-D8 portable DAT recorder. I haven't really done any synch filming yet considering the rolls I did shoot did not synch at all because of the camera. I'm just curious as to what sound recording equipment you used and perhaps even what software you used to synch it up in post production.
thank you very much,
tayman strahorn
------------------
-
February 9th, 2002, 02:17 AM
#6
Nigel
Guest
My camera (Beaulieu 4008ZMII) was done by the Film Group. I haven't had any problems. Good Luck
------------------
-
February 9th, 2002, 10:41 AM
#7
Scottness
Guest
We used a minidisc recorder - I think as long as the motor of whatever you use is crystal synched as well then it should be fine - just choose something that can record sound well as well - a DAT should be fine --- next time I'm thinking of recording straight to hard drive on a lap top - if you're editing on a computer that's where it's going to end up anyway - doing it straight there will save any generational loss and a hell of a light of time too because you will already have seperate sound files of each take there waiting for you when you come to synch it with the video - no need to find them amopngst big files which you get when you transfer tape of minidisc to computer - or no need to transfer them into seperate files when you take it off the DAT or MD onto computer - because youwould have created the seperate files on the spot --- wish I'd thought of this before we were filming -- but that's okay :-)
Scot
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks